[IP] more on more on E-mail intercept ruling - good grief!! (fwd from dave at farber.net)

Tyler Durden camera_lumina at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 3 16:18:08 PDT 2004

I dunno...as an ex-optical engineer/physicst, I'm sceptical about this whole
scary "tempest" bullcrap. Even if it can be made to work fairly reliably, I
suspect deploying it is extremely costly. In contrast, the main benefit of
CALEA is that they can merely provision their copy of a circuit to go back
to VA or wherever. They can be eavesdropping while surfin porn all without
leaving their desk and cup of coffee. Hey--if they want me that bad these
days, it would probably be cheaper just to send the van and beat whatever
they need out of me.

Actually, I suspect that Tempest is some kind of smokescreen..."Don't bother
encrypting because we have this super-technology called tempest that can
read your mind anyway."

-TD