TEST, ignore (was Re: privacy and deviance)

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Wed Jan 28 05:30:15 PST 2004

 Now that was weird. Sorry for this post; testing. On Wed, Jan 28, 2004
at 02:21:24PM +0100, Eugen Leitl wrote: > By refusing to tell you reveal
you're weird, or think you are. >
http://www.hpl.hp.com/research/idl/papers/deviance/index.html Bernardo A.
> Huberman, Eytan Adar and Leslie R. Fine HP Laboratories Palo Alto, CA >
94304 Abstract In spite of the widespread concerns expressed about the >
importance of privacy, individuals frequently give away or sell a myriad
> of personal data. How and why people decide to transition their >
information from the private to the public sphere is poorly understood. >
To address this puzzle, we conducted a reverse second-price auction to >
identify the monetary value of private information to individuals and how
> that value is set. Our results demonstrate that deviance, whether >
perceived or actual, from the group.s average asymmetrically impacts the
> price demanded to reveal private information. Full paper: deviance.pdf
> http://www.hpl.hp.com/research/idl/papers/deviance/deviance.pdf --
Eugen* > Leitl leitl >
48.07078, 11.61144 http://www.leitl.org 8B29F6BE: 099D 78BA 2FD3 B014 >
B08A 7779 75B0 2443 8B29 F6BE http://moleculardevices.org >
http://nanomachines.net > > [demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type
application/pgp-signature] -- Eugen* Leitl leitl