Quantum Loop Gravity Be For Whitey

Tim May timcmay at got.net
Wed Jan 14 17:22:46 PST 2004

On Jan 14, 2004, at 3:51 PM, bgt wrote:

> On Wed, 2004-01-14 at 14:15, cubic-dog wrote:
>> On Wed, 14 Jan 2004, bgt wrote:
>>> ... Anyway... "be productive or be deported" does not constitute
>>
>> I don't think I said that, you put it in quotes, implying I did.
>> It's an okay paraphrase though, so we'll take it like that.
>
> Yes, it was intended as a paraphrase.
>
>> More like I said, without regard to what you DEALT for, the is
>> no impetus on the "man" to pay what was agreed to. If you don't
>> like it, you will be deported. This does a nice job of creating
>
> For currently illegal immigrants, you're right: the contract (the
> agreement to do x work for y money is a contract, however
> informal) is illegal and so unenforceable. This leaves these
> workers open to theft by "stiffing" as you put it.

Most workers are paid bimonthly, and many are paid weekly. Some day
laborers are even paid daily.

This makes the "float" a maximum of a couple of weeks, and more likely
a week or less. Any laborer who has not been paid can walk away and be
out the week or less in pay. (Personally, I would not want to be an
employer who stiffed a Mexican...one might find one's tires slashed or
one's daughter's throat slashed ear to ear...or just a bullet in the
dark.

This kind of "stiffing" such as you two are debating almost never
happens, for various good reasons.

> The guest worker program will legalize these immigrants (for a
> period of time), so the contract will be legal and become
> enforceable.  Why do you think the guest worker program will
> make it worse in this regard for currently illegal immigrants?
> This is the weakest objection to this program I've heard yet.

The wholesale opening of the door to those who "cut in line" (ahead of
those from England, Denmark, Romania, India, etc. who waited patiently
in line by submitting their immigration requests) is deplorable.

Either open the borders or not, but surely don't reward those who cut
in line.

Oh, and the march of 2.5 million Mexicans and Latins from the south is
already underway...they got the message the last time when the
Simpson-Mazzoli "one time amnesty, just this one time!" happened, and
millions more arrived. Now that the new Mexican immigration is
happening, several million more will arrive.

By the way, there is no acceptable hospital in the region near me
because "legal but won't pay their bills" Mexicans have utterly swamped
the W*ts*nv*ll* Community Hospital. It is unable to collect from those
who show up at its emergency room (and must be treated, by law) that it
is now running short on so many things that it is not safe to use.
(They'll probably threaten to sue me, so I'll disguise the above name.)

I'd favor letting all in who want to get in, provided nobody demands
that I pay for any services for them. Any services, not just "few"
services. There are a couple of billion in the world who would gladly
come to America if the borders were open...I'm not exaggerating at all.
Between 1 and 2 billion, at least.

Let them come. But let them starve when 950 million of them find no
work and a limit to charity by the do-gooder minority. Let piles of
their corpses fertilize our crops...it's why God made bulldozers.

--Tim May
"Aren't cats Libertarian? They just want to be left alone.
I think our dog is a Democrat, as he is always looking for a handout"
--Unknown Usenet Poster