US Finally Kills The 2nd Ammendment

Tim May timcmay at got.net
Tue Jan 13 10:48:23 PST 2004

On Jan 13, 2004, at 8:41 AM, Steve Schear wrote:

> At 11:23 PM 1/12/2004, Tim May wrote:
>
>> During the Carnivore debate, I argued that mandatory placement of
>> computer agents in systems was equivalent to quartering troops:
>>
>> < http://www.mail-archive.com/cypherpunks@algebra.com/msg03198.html>
>>
>> "The Third Amendment, about
>> quartering troops, is seldom-applied.
>>
>> "But if I own a computer and I rent out accounts to others and the FBI
>> comes to me and says "We are putting a Carnivore computer in your
>> place," how else can this be interpreted _except_ as a violation of
>> the Third?"
>>
>> This was from July, 2000. I believe it also came up in earlier
>> discussions, including in a panel I was on with Michael Froomkin at a
>> CFP in 1995.
>
> I could assume this also applies to the the TCPS (if it is ever
> required) and FCC's new mandate that DTV video devices sold in the
> U.S. after December 31, 2004 include a 'cop' inside to enforce
> compliance with the broadcast flag.

In its purest form, I think not.

If Alice is told that she must place some device in something she owns,
which was the example with Carnivore, then the Third applies (she has
been told to "quarter troops," abstractly, in her home).

If, however, Bob is told that in order to build television sets or VCRs
he must include various noise suppression devices, as he must, or
closed-captioning features, as he must, or the V-chip (as I believe he
must, though I never hear of it being talked about, as we all figured
would be the case), or the Macrovision devices (as may  be the case),
then this is a matter of regulation of those devices. Whether Alice
then _chooses_ to buy such devices with "troops already living in
them," abstractly speaking, is her choice.

Now the manufacturer may have a claim, but government regulation of
manufacturers has been going on for a very long time, and unless a
manufacturer can claim that the devices must be in his own home or
operated in his premises, he cannot make a very strong case that _he_
is the one being affected by the quartering.

The pure form of the Third (in this abstract sense) is when government
knocks on one's door and says "Here is something you must put inside
your house."

By the way, there have been a bunch of cases where residents of a
neighborhood were ordered to leave so that SWAT teams could be in their
houses to monitor a nearby house where a hostage situation had
developed. (It is possible that in each house they occupied they
received uncoerced permission to occupy the houses, but I don't think
this was always the case; however, I can't cite a concrete case of
this. Maybe Lexis has one.)

If this takeover of houses to launch a raid is not a "black letter law"
case of the government quartering troops in residences, nothing is.
Exigent circumstance, perhaps, but so was King George's need to quarter
his troops.

--Tim May
""Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who
approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but
downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined."
--Patrick Henry