Canada issues levy on non-removable memory (for MP3 players)

Adam blueeskimo at phreaker.net
Sun Jan 11 08:24:18 PST 2004

I know this story is quite a bit old, but I really have to wonder how
legal this levy is.

http://www.cb-cda.gc.ca/news/c20032004nr-e.html

"The Board also sets for the first time a levy on non-removable memory
permanently embedded in digital audio recorders (such as MP3 players) at
$2 for each recorder with a memory capacity of up to 1 Gigabyte (Gb),
$15 for each recorder with memory capacity of more than 1 Gb and up to
10 Gbs, and $25 for each recorder with memory capacity of more than 10
GBs."

It just seems to me to be a bit sketchy to tax intended illegal usage. I
mean, that'd be like taxing condoms b/c of prostitution.

Would something like this go over in the US? I wonder ...

--
Adam