Engineers in U.S. vs. India

Sarad AV jtrjtrjtr2001 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 8 00:19:44 PST 2004

--- Jim Dixon <jdd at dixons.org> wrote:

> Meaning that 150,000 engineers are employed in
> Bangalore?  Does this
> include software engineers, HTML coders,
> programmers, computer scientists?

Computer scientists are very few. Most engineering
colleges and teachers emphasis simple on coding. If
you know c/c++/oracle etc.. and good analytical skills
and communication skills- one can get a job in
bangalore if you have a computer engg. degree.

The math education system from schools to colleges is
pathetic. They simply give us the final formula,they
dont bother to derive the  equation or give any
insight or intution of the problem. Most south indian
students are weak at math.

I see Steve Mynott's comment. Thats the cream,who
usually emigrate. You get to see some of the very
best.

> Does it include say railway engineers, truck
> mechanics, the guy who fixes
> your air conditioning?

no,they don't.These are usual who do diploma. These
people in india  have better practial experience and
aptitude than engineers.
Software engineers are given a proper degree by the
university.

> In the same vein, what does 'techie' mean in the
> article quoted?  When the
> article says that Bangalore has a lead of 20,000
> techies over California,
> exactly what is this supposed to mean?

It would mean that bangalore has around 16000 to 17000
programmers.The other 3000 would be computer
scientists.By computer scientists,I mean those people
who has indepth knowledge of theory of algorithms,more
of theorotical computer science.They can present you
with the final algorithm and all the others have to do
is code it.

Sarath.