Engineers in U.S. vs. India

Sarad AV jtrjtrjtr2001 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 7 03:20:28 PST 2004

> "Today, Bangalore stands ahead of Bay Area, San
> Francisco and California,
> with a lead of 20,000 techies, while employing a
> total number of 1.5 lakh
> engineers."

I live in bangalore,those figures are correct.

> However, the educational system has to be seen to be
> fully appreciated.
> I spent several months in Calcutta over a couple of
> years.  During at
> least one visit there were riots at the university;
> the papers reported
> bodies hanging from trees.  Many had been shot.
> Same story: students
> protested because they were stopped from openly
> exchanging papers,
> consulting books, or just chatting with friends
> during examinations.

Lets be a little fair here, just copying and just
chatting during exams are malpractices, the students
have much political support and relegious support in
these places.
As for openly consulting books durin exam,most of the
universities don't conduct open book exams,except may
be at the iit's.Its a malpractice,elsewhere.

The university sends special squads appointed by the
university itself to check exam malpractices, how ever
if the students counter the squad with sickles and
knifes and swords-it becomes a common practice that
the invigilators get armed police protection. So,in a
riot when the students are out to kill,very little can
be done to protect themselves and people sadly,get
killed.

There are a few sensitive spots in india but where I
am and in South India,we had no such encounters as
yet.

> Such education as occurred largely involved rote
> learning, often based
> on texts many years out of date.

We learn the fundamentals of enginnering,the basic
books of engg. are always the same,we may miss a few
updates and advances,thats all.

> My impression is that India has a few excellent
> institutions and a vast
> number of unbelievably bad schools.

We dont the have resources like you have in the U.S.

Sarath.