WiFi Repeater?

Tyler Durden camera_lumina at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 6 11:20:15 PST 2004

I'm thinking about a WiFi repeater...

Imagine I work on a high floor in an office tower, but I know that very
nearby, on the ground floor, there's a public WiFi hotspot.

Now let's say I want to be able to access that hotspot, but I'm currently
out of range due to the height.

DOES THERE EXIST something like a WiFi "repeater", which will allow me to
"reach" that public WiFi spot without my being within 200 feet or so? (I
deploying one or more repeaters throughout our offices so that I can reach
the public hotspot.)

Of course, it's also better if that repeater masks who I am to the real
hotspot, and terminates encryption on both sides. But of course, I don't
want it to cost a ton, and I probably don't want anyone else to be able to
use it either.

One nice application of this is to be able to regularly send messages from
this public spot, but without anyone every actually seeing me. And if the
"last" repeater is in these (private) offices somewhere, it's doubtful
anyone would ever be able to tell that this is occurring.

Or so I believe...

-TD