Vengeance Libertarianism

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Mon Jan 5 10:58:56 PST 2004

On Wed, Dec 31, 2003 at 12:45:51PM -0800, Tim May wrote:
> those working had to work even harder. A vicious circle, much like the
> one now facing American industry, where more and more workers are
> claiming bogus "disability" and where the insurance costs are driving
> companies out of the country.

One of my cousins is married to a private investigator who does work
for insurance companies. Over the Christmas holiday I chatted with him
for the first time in some detail about his work.

Turns out that many people (he says) take paid disability leave from
their company to work at a temporary under-the-table job or take
legitimate disability leave and then decide they like not working so
decide to make it permanent. He sits outside their houses in a van
with tinted windows and takes video and photos of them driving to
their temp job, cleaning gutters, going for a jog, and so on -- after
they claimed they are no longer to walk.

With that evidence in hand, the employer calls them up and tells them
to be at work the next day -- or be fired. If I were the employer, I
wouldn't even give them that second chance.

-Declan