Vengeance Libertarianism

Major Variola (ret) mv at cdc.gov
Mon Jan 5 11:10:23 PST 2004

At 12:58 PM 1/5/04 -0600, Declan McCullagh wrote:

>With that evidence in hand, the employer calls them up and tells them
>to be at work the next day -- or be fired. If I were the employer, I
>wouldn't even give them that second chance.

Motivation might be loss of training or worry over lawsuit?

The state of CA was running adverts last year reminding the volk that
its
a felony to fake disability for worker's comp.

My wife's a shrink, she has had occasion to evaluate people for
mental distress (for worker's comp) caused by work.  Sometimes they
piggyback
pre-existing problems onto their claims, sometimes people or
conditions at work would screw with anyone's head.

Sometimes they regard
her (the examining shrink) as an adversary, sometimes a friend.
I imagine same goes for visceral physicians too -though pain is
as easy to fake as anguish.

The technical term for faking it is 'malingering'.

Some of the questions in standard written exams try to detect this,
as well as the opposite, concealment.  (There are times when you
want to conceal a condition that you are aware of.)