copy protected "CD" lawsuit

Major Variola (ret.) mv at cdc.gov
Mon Jan 5 10:56:26 PST 2004

LONDON -- A European consumer watchdog body is suing the world's largest
music companies for selling copy-protected compact discs that won't play
on car stereos and computers, the Belgium-based organization said on
Monday.

The group, known in Dutch as Test-Aankoop and in French as Test-Achats,
said it has received more than 200 complaints from consumers who
objected to a technology that prevents consumers from making a back-up
version on a blank disc and limits playback on certain devices.

http://wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,61791,00.html?tw=wn_tophead_6

Note that we suggested a lawsuit based on fraud rather than
denial of traditional use, some time ago.  Actually, the case for denial
of traditional use
is lame, in our opinion. (Surely a vendor can sell whatever they want.
Only its
fraud to use the CD logo, since the disks don't play on to-spec players.

Similar to software: you should be able to lock it in any way you can,
but you can't
say "runs on WinBlah" if it only runs on a subset.)  Should be
interesting.