Education Be For Whitey

Tim May timcmay at got.net
Sat Jan 3 10:34:13 PST 2004

On Jan 3, 2004, at 9:23 AM, Major Variola (ret) wrote:

> At 10:41 PM 1/2/04 -0500, Tyler Durden wrote:
>> And until the Liberatarian utopia you speak of comes to pass,
>
> One could close all public schools and voucher tomorrow.

I came up with a plan which is workable immediately and which does not
require substantive changes:

Put a partition down the middle of a school building. One side is
"Blue," the other side is "Red."

Blue and Red have different academic orientations, different goals.
What the goals are and how they are set might arise in different ways,
e.g., by a vote of parents, or the backgrounds of the teachers in each,
and so on. Not so important. What is important is what follows.

As the Blue and Red sides evolve, with perhaps one focusing on academic
excellence and the other on "social skills," parents could move their
children between the sides (say, on a semester by semester basis, to
reduce thrashing). As the sizes of the Blue and Red sizes change, the
partition would be moved.

This gives "policy choice" within a particular school building, which
is a lot less expensive than busing students long distances to get to
"magnet" schools (science, performing arts, crack dealing, etc.).

--Tim May
"They played all kinds of games, kept the House in session all night,
and it was a very complicated bill. Maybe a handful of staffers
actually read it, but the bill definitely was not available to members
before the vote." --Rep. Ron Paul, TX, on how few Congresscritters saw
the USA-PATRIOT Bill before voting overwhelmingly to impose a police
state