Education Be For Whitey

Major Variola (ret) mv at cdc.gov
Fri Jan 2 17:07:52 PST 2004

At 04:58 PM 1/2/04 -0500, Tyler Durden wrote:
>Nah nah Variola...I don't think you're getting me here. Or maybe you
are...

We're not talking about the same thing.  I'm talking about the
importance
of culture in valuing education, and how important education (aka
personal capitalism)
is.

You're talking about different things -schools not removing disruptives,
and
differences in this policy in poor districts.

>Now if you're saying that public schools shouldn't even
exist...well...OK,
>whatever.

I don't know where you got that from, unless you're simply applying
libertarian
ideals (albeit a reasonable extrapolation for me).  I would destroy
publicly administered
schools tomorrow, and put the money into competitive private schools,
aka
"vouchers".

In the long term libertarian utopia,  govt isn't involved in funding
(even lower) education of course, but I would put that last on my list
of reforms, and note
that eventually education can be funded in other ways.

In the short term, no govt employee should teach; a
few govt accountants can write the vouchers.  They shouldn't teach
because of
1. conflict of interest (in teaching history, civics)
2. govt shouldn't be in the business of running schools, even if
taxpayers continue to
fund it
3. govt (and uncompetitive school bureaucracy) is inefficient whatever
it does
4. govt curricula are swayed by politics, whereas with vouchers you can
decide how you want Columbus et al. portrayed.  (This distinct from 1.)
5. 1st amendment conflicts (ie compelled speech, compelled reading)

Obviously religious curricula cannot be payed for by vouchers.

And practically, the state would have to assure that vouchers paid
are getting something for their money, esp. for home-schoolers, who
should get voucher $ too.  That doesn't mean a fixed curricula, just
that you are literate and numerate by a reasonable age.