Optical MicroMachines Be For Whitey

Tyler Durden camera_lumina at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 2 09:38:39 PST 2004

Tim May wrote...

"The last refuge of the scoundrel is to dismiss stuff as "secondary and
tertiary sources," sort of like the fakers I used to meet in college who
nattered on about having learned their physics from Newton's "Principia"
instead of from secondary and tertiary sources."

Oh, no...don't try to cram me into that category (or practically any other
you can think of, for that matter).

I'm a trained, degreed, published, and multi-patented physicsist. I regard
as "Primary Sources" anything published in a fairly accepted journal or
conference proceedings (though the latter can be hard to find, depending on
the conference)....I might read a good review paper once in a while, but in
the journals these are normally invited papers, and written by known people
in the field they are summarizing.

My admission of ignorance of that end of Von Neumann is precisely that:
admission of ignorance due to not having read much ABOUT him, and having
only read his more famous papers.

As for a universal nano generator, that notion has seemed a little too
science-fictiony for my tastes, though in the optical world some of my
colleagues were developing some fairly amazing optical lab-benches on a
chip, but these are more at the micron scale.

You'll pardon my scepticism about a universal generator being a useful
notion any time in the near future...the recently defunct Optical Micro
Machines (OMM) couldn't even get a micron-scale 3-D optical cross connect to
work reliably (nor could anyone else, including Lucent, MEMS-R-US, or hosts
of others), so that nano-scale generator is at least decades away, if it
will ever be possible.

-TD