[camram-spam] Re: Microsoft publicly announces Penny Black PoW postage project

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Thu Jan 1 11:25:04 PST 2004

    --
Alan Brown wrote:
> >  I just hope you're right
> > about the CPUs burning up - it doesn't happen when machines
> > are running OGR calculations, so I suspect that you just
> > ran into a particularly badly built example.

Eric S. Johansson
> no, it was a stock Intel motherboard, CPU, CPU fan in a
> standard (i.e. not cheap) case with reasonably sized power
> supply (i.e. 300 watts). It has the standard number of fans.

With modern CPUs one needs a great deal of care installing the
heat sink to avoid overheating.   A standard CPU fan is not
equivalent to a competently built computer.

A modern bios has the capability to switch the computer off if
it detects overheating.  Unfortunately this capability is often
off by default, or is deliberately switched off by shoddy
assemblers who do not care whether they have installed
functional CPU cooling -- and they usually have not.

I recently built a computer for my son.  Went through two CPU
cooling systems before I got satisfactory cooling with the
third system   Then after the a few months the rather small and
fragile plastic motherboard clip that held the extremely
massive cooling system against the CPU cracked, impairing
cooling efficiency, and I had to take the system apart and
McGyver a clip out of inductor wire.  Since it has worked fine.
Modern cpu cooling systems are so massive that we need metal to
metal clips all the way through the mother board, but today's
motherboards still come with these frail little crappy plastic
clips suitable only for old style fans.

    --digsig
         James A. Donald
     jd8twQqu33IqobCtWRsiI82DmRPHLLGBFHtty1eK
     44/TTa0hL/CvVpbKSadQPFrmPhdPmSiuxBQEal47m