Gentlemen don't read each others' mail

Tyler Durden camera_lumina at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 27 10:20:47 PST 2004

Variola wrote...

>Silly lad, the walls have ears.   And the ceilings, trimwork, light
>fixtures,
>heating ducts, etc.
>
>Think outside the (secure) box, dude.

Well, of course those are the conventional channels, and for sure some of
them would have been employed. But an all-around secure communications
infrastructure would have to include the telephony, or else all of the other
precautions can more or less be CALEA'd away 9ie, using the physical
infrastructure of CALEA).

And there's also the question of willing "our boys" would be of incurring
some international incident by installing eavesdropping devices. Something
CALEA-like seems far less instrusive.

Of course, there's laser-based eavesdropping from the outside of the
building, and I'd bet this was actually the method used in many cases.
Laser/vibration-proof glass apparently does exist (it's installed in that
DARPA building in downtown watchamaface VA), but I doubt it's installed in
the UN, as it's VERY expensive. (But then again, maybe some select rooms
have it.)

-TD