More on VoIP

Tyler Durden camera_lumina at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 24 07:17:03 PST 2004

Uhm. Good point. But I think that the Luxemborg wrinkle was interesting...

The more interesting idea is peer-to-peer VoIP. That plus crypto and I don't
think prying ears could do a whole hell of a lot. In fact, the game may be
over on some levels...certainly, CALEA seems to have at best a slippery
legal hold on VoIP at all, and that's when the VoIP calls are hubbed or
"switched" somehow (you packet heads can remove the quote-marks from
'switched'). Peered VoIP seems to push any eavesdropping all the way out to
the edges of the network.

In fact, I'm wondering if there may be a popular 'giving up' underway on the
greater crypto issue, with greater starting to encompass voice traffic.
Actually, while we're fighting Satan's Minions(TM) (ie, the evil
dark-skinned ragheads), nobody seems to care as much about some hydroponic
pot growers and whatnot, and Al Qaeda seems to think that word of mouth
works just fine for disseminating mission-critical information.

-TD