Cypherpunks response to viral stimuli

Tyler Durden camera_lumina at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 3 10:57:07 PST 2004

"Or would you instead, simply just stick a Carnivore machine at one hop
above each CDR node that you're interested in, and gather the information
you wanted with nearly zero risk of tipping your hand?  Or even simpler than
that, get a hotmail or yahoomail account and just subscribe.  Which of the
above scenarios makes the most sense in terms of Occam's?"

While you make some good points, you've way overstated both sides of your
argument.
But this statement..."simply stick a Carnivore machine at one hop above each
CDR node"...
Isn't that almost like saying "simply splice into the undersea cable"? Of
course, if we're talking about hunting down Osama bin Laden a TLA (or
whoever) would probably do that. But in terms of merely rounding up the
names of potential trouble makers (particularly when they don't want anyone
to know that they're doing this) it seems to be an awfully easy thing to do.

As for the fake virus part, all they need to do is go to some year-old virus
list, select a virus, and send one directly through a non-de-mimed list
server, and then watch what comes out. Seems a lot cheaper and easier.

But this misses the point: Even IF this would be "stupid", it would be
stupider still to be aware that this is possible, and then not implement a
fix (if a cheap fix is available). De-miming is now obvious.
In other words, the idea is not to compare dick sizes but to actually force
them to spend huge amounts of money on trivial tasks, by raising aware of
and plugging any holes that become evident. That assymetry is exactly what
crypto is, in a nutshell.

-TD