Cypherpunks response to viral stimuli

Tyler Durden camera_lumina at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 2 18:17:17 PST 2004

Sunder wrote...

"That's got to be the dumbest thing I've ever heard of.  No TLA would do
that.  They'd simply watch upstream of each node.  They can wait for
outgoing messages and collect email addresses to their heart's content...."

I'm not sure I understand this. On Cypherpunks we always seem to assume that
the TLAs have infinite amounts of cash, and that's just not the case. If
they can spend a couple of bucks to flush out a list rather than mount some
major operation that's what they'll do, if for no other reason than to keep
their exposure down. And if they're going to Gitmo me one day, I sure as
hell want them to spend  a few hundred thou rather than a few hundred, and
hopefully leave a paper trail so I can sue the crap out of 'em if somehow I
survive.

And in case it's not clear, I'm suggesting that it may be useful for them to
deliberately create a "fake" virus that is easily detectable, and so cull
the bounce messages.

-TD