An interesting thread...Hacking Bluetooth

Roy M. Silvernail roy at rant-central.com
Wed Dec 22 13:56:25 PST 2004

Tyler Durden wrote:

> There's some guy ("German Guy") spouting some coherent-sounding
> conspiracy theories over here:
>
> http://www.godlikeproductions.com/bbs/message.php?page=23&topic=10&message=54181&mpage=1&showdate=12/18/04
>

> I wouldn't normally post something like this, but the guy's done a
> little bit of homework on a huge variety of topics, so it's really an
> excellent hoax, seen from a distance.
>
> Here's on thing giving me some doubts, though (but of course if this
> is true he may have just pulled it from Google somewhere):
>
> "Here4s another myth: you cannot hack bluetooth from a distance of
> more than 40 metres. Not true. My technical partner Felix can crack it
> at over half a kilometre. Which is why he enjoys driving around so
> much in areas where we know British, American, Israeli or Russian ops
> are living or working. The great thing about many German cities is
> that most affordable residences are within metres of the street anyway."
>
> Any comments?

http://www.engadget.com/entry/3093445122266423/

I believe they went a bit over a kilometer at Defcon (against a knowing
volunteer, so they say) from a hotel rooftop.

The rest sounds perfectly plausible, as well.  WEP is Swiss cheese, guys
tell their girlfriends too much and girlfriends gossip amongst themselves.

Nothing to see here.  Move along.

--
Roy M. Silvernail is roy at rant-central.com, and you're not
"It's just this little chromium switch, here." - TFT