[i2p] weekly status notes [dec 21]

jrandom jrandom at i2p.net
Tue Dec 21 12:49:34 PST 2004

Ev'nin folks, time for our status update

1) 0.4.2.4 & 0.4.2.5
2) 0.5 strategy
3) naming
4) eepsite roundup
5) ???

1) 0.4.2.4 & 0.4.2.5

With last week's 0.4.2.4 release, we saw the deployment of some new
load balancing algorithms to throttle tunnel participation based on
actual bandwidth usage, along side peer profiling updates to select
peers better through a wider sample of data.  This has done pretty
well at both choking tunnel participation when necessary and finding
good peers when possible.

Another major update in that release was a change to how we verify
time synchronization - rather than just checking the time sync once
during connection establishment, peers now periodically send
messages to each other with their current time, and if the time
received is too far skewed, the connection is dropped.  This has
helped kick a few routers who were skewing off the net until they
recovered (which is good), and the vast majority of peers have been
quite close to 'correct' (you can see the clock skew on the
/oldconsole.jsp page)

With that, the network has been performing pretty well, but we were
still seeing the occational bulk disconnect.  After some debugging
we tracked down an unintentional and wholely unnecessary DNS lookup
that occurred whenever a router sent a message to a peer who has a
hostname specified.  This not only wasted time, but it wasted time
within the jobqueue - essentially injecting a whole lot of lag for
no reason.  With that lookup removed, the router handled much
better under heavily congested situations, but we were still seeing
those occational bulk disconnects.  After digging around in the
stats and logging, we came up with a plausible theory that explains
why those disconnects have been occurring - blaming them almost
entirely on those DNS lookups.  To test that theory (and to deploy
some other goodies), we pushed out the 0.4.2.5 release this
afternoon.

We'll see how it goes.

* 2) 0.5 strategy

As the roadmap [1] says, the next planned release is 0.5, including
a revised tunnel pool and encryption/id technique.  Avoiding a
big explanation (see [2], [3], [4], and a tiny bit of [5]), we will
do this in two stages - first revamp the tunnel pooling and
push that out as an interim release, debugging what is necessary,
then revamp the encryption/id stuff, pushing that out as 0.5.  Oh,
and of course, once the algorithms for the pooling and encryption
updates are in pretty good shape, they'll be posted up here and on
the website for review.

Along the way though, there will probably be small bugfix releases
unrelated to the 0.5 stuff, but I don't have any specifically
planned.

[1] http://www.i2p.net/roadmap
[2] http://www.i2p.net/todo#tunnelId
[3] http://www.i2p.net/todo#ordering
[4] http://www.i2p.net/todo#tunnelLength
[5] http://www.i2p.net/todo#batching

* 3) naming

Yikes, now that I think about it, I really don't want to talk
about naming yet - just download Ragnarok's latest addressbook
app (2.0.1) from http://ragnarok.i2p/, check out susi's web
based manager at http://susi.i2p/susidns/manager, and dig
through the stats at http://orion.i2p/ and
http://susi.i2p/susisworld.html

* 4) eepsite roundup

There have been some notable developments on various eepsites worth
mentioning:

= http://frosk.i2p/ - I2PContent doc updates
= http://orion.i2p/ - new form to submit your keys to
= http://piespy.i2p/ - neat graphs of the irc channels
= http://forum.fr.i2p/ - french language forum
= http://pastebin.i2p/ - stop flooding the channels!

Of course, there have also been updates to other sites as well,
plus some other new sites - check orion.i2p and sort the list by
'last updated' to review (or just go to 'em all ;)

5) ???

I know there's lots more going on, so please, swing on by the
meeting in a few minutes and we can chat 'bout stuff.

=jr