Gait advances in emerging biometrics

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Thu Dec 16 03:28:36 PST 2004

On Wed, Dec 15, 2004 at 07:58:27PM -0800, Major Variola (ret) wrote:

> Look up Johansson, et al.  Point light displays.  Yes you can tell
> sex, age, etc., from the ratios of rotational axes, etc, but a stone
> in the shoe is a bitch.

Isolated biometrics are nigh to useless. But integrated, they become
increasingly more and more difficult to fool. Some of it is cheap, too.
There are phase-evaluating 2d integrated sensors which have a depth of up to
7 m, which are very cheap in principle. Mounted in a gate, this will give you
face/ear/head geometry. Calculating a fingerprint from a topology map is
something any embedded can do. With IR/NIR you'll get a skin pigmentation
map.

Teraherz will give you body geometry. Olfactorics will give you volatile MHC
fragments, and thus a hash of your immune diversity (and your current
perfume). Add gait recognition, and you've got a real rich telebiometrics
signature.

Anyone who owns that infrastructure is even more dangerous than who 0wns the
voting machines. The perfect enabler to establish a totalitarian control
system.

> All faith is in drivers' licenses, a total joke, I got gummies on your
> 'prints, all your time-derivatives are mine.
>
> But grant$ are good, and flavor$ of DARPA be bitchin.

Absolutely. It's like owning a mint for grant money.