Do 'Ocean's Twelve'-Style Heists Really Happen?

Justin justin-cypherpunks at soze.net
Wed Dec 15 12:57:50 PST 2004

On 2004-12-15T10:14:14-0500, R.A. Hettinga wrote:

> This popped up in my "bearer" filter this morning...
>
> Cheers,
> RAH
> -------
>
> <http://www.mtv.com/movies/news/articles/1494863/12142004/story.jhtml>
>
> MTV.com - Movies - News
>   12.14.2004 9:03 PM EST
>
> Reel To Real: Do 'Ocean's Twelve'-Style Heists Really Happen?
> Sometimes, but the real-life criminals can't possibly be as hot as George
> Clooney and Brad Pitt.

http://home.earthlink.net/~kinnopio/news/news040922.htm
(it's gone, but google still has it cached)

"The Bank Job will have Statham playing a real-life bank robber. The
plot is based on the true story of Britain's biggest bank robbery ever:
In 1971 the Baker Street bank in London was robbed, no arrests were ever
made, and none of the money was ever found.  It's a story that hasn't
been told in 30 years because of a government-issued gag order."

The incident is also discussed briefly here:
http://www.lukeford.net/profiles/profiles/ross_bell.htm

There is some doubt whether the heist was real... if it did happen, it's
been covered up for so long that finding any real proof would be
difficult.  It could be a scam just to make money off of a movie.