Gait advances in emerging biometrics

Sunder sunder at sunder.net
Tue Dec 14 09:31:15 PST 2004

Original URL: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/12/14/alt_biometrics/
Gait advances in emerging biometrics

By John Leyden (john.leyden at theregister.co.uk)
Published Tuesday 14th December 2004 15:07 GMT

"Great Juno comes; I know her by her gait."
William Shakespeare, The Tempest

Retinal scans, finger printing or facial recognition get most of the
publicity but researchers across the world are quietly labouring away at
alternative types of biometrics.

Recognition by the way someone walk (their gait), the shape of their ears,
the rhythm they make when they tap and the involuntary response of ears to
sounds all have the potential to raise the stock of biometric techniques.
According to Professor Mark Nixon, of the Image Speech and Recognition
Research Group at the University of Southampton, each has unique
advantages which makes them worth exploring.

<SNIP>

 + ^ + :"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we.  /|\
  \|/  :They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country /\|/\
<--*-->:and our people, and neither do we." -G. W. Bush, 2004.08.05 \/|\/
 + v + :    War is Peace, freedom is slavery, Bush is President.