Acoustic Keyboard Eavesdropping

Sunder sunder at sunder.net
Mon Dec 13 10:04:11 PST 2004

Not new news, but interesting anyway.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/12/12/magazine/12ACOUSTIC.html
(bugmenot's your uncle)

Acoustic Keyboard Eavesdropping
By STEPHEN MIHM

Published: December 12, 2004

When it comes to computer security, do you have faith in firewalls? Think
passwords will protect you? Not so fast: it is now possible to eavesdrop
on a typist's keystrokes and, by exploiting minute variations in the
sounds made by different keys, distinguish and decipher what is being
typed.

<SNIP>

This means that firewalls and passwords will amount to nothing if someone
manages to bug a room and record the cacophony of keystrokes. Asonov
managed to pull off this feat with readily available recording equipment
at a short distance. Even as far away as 50 feet, and with significant
background noise, he was able to replicate his success using a parabolic
microphone. He also anticipated an obvious practical objection: how does a
would-be eavesdropper get into a building and spend enough time to
''train'' a computer program to recognize the keystrokes of a particular
keyboard? Not a problem: it seems that keyboards of the same make and
model sound sufficiently alike -- regardless of who is typing -- that a
computer trained on one keyboard can be unleashed on another.

<SNIP>

 + ^ + :"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we.  /|\
  \|/  :They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country /\|/\
<--*-->:and our people, and neither do we." -G. W. Bush, 2004.08.05 \/|\/
 + v + :    War is Peace, freedom is slavery, Bush is President.