Mixmaster is dead, long live wardriving

Major Variola (ret) mv at cdc.gov
Sat Dec 11 06:48:41 PST 2004

At 09:47 PM 12/10/04 -0800, Joseph Ashwood wrote:
>Wardriving is also basically dead.

On the contrary.  A recent article (zdnet IIRC) described a non-hacker
visiting his father, and using a neighbor's connection accidentally.
This is very common.  My own non-tech father regularly finds
other nets in his neighborhood, using default apps (not 'Stumbler, etc).

Sure there are a handful of people that
>do it, but the number is so small as to be irrelevant.

That 'wardrive' knowing its called that, yes.  That do so accidentally,
no.

>> Or consider a Napster-level popular app which includes mixing or
>> onion routing.
>
>Now we're back to the MixMaster argument. Mixmaster was meant to be a
>"Napster-level popular app" for emailing, but people just don't care
about
>anonymity.

Mixmaster is the most godawful complex thing to use, much less
administer, around.  Even Jack B Nymble is complex.
It needs a simple luser interface and something
to piggyback servers on.