Blinky Rides Again: RCMP suspect al-Qaida messages

Trei, Peter ptrei at rsasecurity.com
Fri Dec 10 06:50:10 PST 2004

J.A. Terranson wrote:
> (4) I have yet to meet a full dozen people who share my
> belief that while stego *may* be in use, if it is, that
> use is for one way messages of semaphore-class messages
> only.  I really do not understand why this view
> is poopoo'd by all sides, so I must be pretty dense?

For semaphores and codewords, stego isn't needed. Simply
agree on a signal - if a post appears in
alt.anonymous.messages with the subject "To JAT", the
intended recipient has got all the info he needs.

Stego is needed only when the message is too complex
to have a codeword.

Even without software, 'numbers station' type
transmissions can be sent anonymously through the net.