Cryptography firm Certicom posts quarterly loss, year after big U.S. contract

R.A. Hettinga rah at shipwright.com
Thu Dec 9 20:26:55 PST 2004

<http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/TechNews/TechInvestor/2004/12/09/pf-775547.html>

CNEWS - Tech News:

 December 9, 2004

 Cryptography firm Certicom posts quarterly loss, year after big U.S. contract
By CRAIG WONG

 TORONTO (CP) - Data encryption company Certicom Corp. is reporting a
second-quarter loss of about $1 million US, down sharply from a profit of
$22.3 million a year earlier when the numbers were boosted by a lucrative
contract from the U.S. National Security Agency.

 Certicom (TSX:CIC) reported Thursday quarterly revenue of $2.6 million US,
compared with $2.7 million US a year ago - excluding revenues from the
$25-million NSA contract. The Mississauga-based firm reports in U.S.
dollars. CEO Ian McKinnon said the NSA contract has given the company a
boost to help sell its technology as the standard for encryption around the
world.

 "It has also hiked Certicom's position as the authority for strong
efficient cryptography," McKinnon said during a conference call with
analysts.

 The technology at the core of Certicom's products - elliptic-curve
cryptography, or ECC - is well suited to such purposes since it can work
faster and requires less computing power and storage than conventional
forms of cryptography.

 "We see the greatest potential in intellectual property licensing as ECC
adoption grows. Our focus is to maximize our share of that market,"
McKinnon said.

 During the quarter, the company used $10 million to retire its convertible
debentures, which matured on Aug. 30, making the company debt free.

 In its outlook the company said it expects operating expenses, including
cost of sales, are expected to range from $3.3 million to $3.6 million in
its third-quarter of its 2005 financial year.

 Research Capital analyst Bruce Krugel said the NSA gave Certicom some
profile, but it has yet to be seen if Certicom can deliver consistently on
its strategy to sign intellectual property deals.

 "There's no denying they have a good stroke of valid, but what I'm
wrestling with at the moment is rate of adoption and what people are
prepared to pay for it," he said

 "We've seen two nice intellectual property licensing deals be announced so
far . . . we just need to see more which would give us at least better
comfort as to what the potential might be."

 At its annual meeting in October, Certicom said it saw a growing demand
for its data encryption technology in both government and the private
sector, including the entertainment industry.

 The company said the explosion of digital music, movies and books that are
easily copied is causing companies such as Disney and Time Warner to demand
that electronic devices and distribution networks be fully secure.

 In its most recent quarter the company reported two important contracts
including one with software integration company Sybase and another with a
customer that could not be disclosed for confidentiality reasons.

 For the six months ended Oct. 31, Certicom reported a loss for $2.2
million or six cents per share on revenue of $5.5 million. That compared
with a profit of $20.7 million or 65 cents per share on revenue of $29.8
million for the same period a year earlier.

 During the 1999-2000 boom in technology stocks, Certicom shares (TSX:CIC)
traded above $100 Cdn. However, as the dot-com mania faded and technology
spending dried up, the shares fell and Certicom downsized repeatedly.

 Certicom shares closed up nine cents at $3.42 on the Toronto Stock
Exchange on Thursday.

--
44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA