Blinky Rides Again: RCMP suspect al-Qaida messages

R.W. (Bob) Erickson roberte at ripnet.com
Thu Dec 9 14:43:25 PST 2004

J.A. Terranson wrote:

>On Thu, 9 Dec 2004, Tyler Durden wrote:
>

>>Those cops you taught...do you think they were stupid enough to assume that,
>>because this was their first time hearing about Stego, that Al Qaeda was
>>only starting to use it right then?
>>

>Thats an interesting question on several different levels:
>
>(1) There is (both within LEAs and the rest of us) a wide range of
>opinions as to the feasability of stego being used in the field for
>anything useful.  Remember that USA "professional spies" (who spent over a
>year learning tradcraft IIRC) had continuous problems with very simple
>encryptions/decryptions in the real world.
>
>(2) The folks in the "Al Qaeda is Satan" camp generally believe that not
>only is stego in wide use, but that AlQ has somehow managed to turn it
>into a high bandwidth channel which is being used every day to Subvert The
>American Way Of Life and infect Our Precious Bodily Fluids.  No amount of
>education seems to dissuade these people from their misbeliefs.
>
>(3) The other camp believes that stego is a lab-only toy, unsuitable for
>much of anything besides scaring the shit out of the people in the Satan
>camp.
>
>(4) I have yet to meet a full dozen people who share my belief that while
>stego *may* be in use, if it is, that use is for one way messages of
>semaphore-class messages only.  I really do not understand why this view
>is poopoo'd by all sides, so I must be pretty dense?

It only makes sense that transmitted stego payloads be simple codewords
or signals.
For hand carried chunks of data, simple disguise is sufficient
The bulk transport of dangerous data is a threat model  that doesnt fit
the situation.
Perhaps LEA confuse themselves thinking al-q is inciting a cultural
revolution?
.
.