Michael Riconosciuto, PROMIS

privacy.at Anonymous Remailer mixmaster at remailer.privacy.at
Tue Dec 7 01:00:51 PST 2004

Steve Thompson:

> If that's true, then the government couldn't have stolen it.
> However, I suspect that mainfraim code of any sophistication is
> rarely released into the public domain.  I imagine the author would
> be able to clear that up, assuming he has no financial reason to
> falsify its history.

    The page clearly states that the enhanced version was not in the
public domain or owned by the government, it was a completely new
version and the development was not funded by the government. The old
one was for 16 bit architecture whereas the new one was for 32 bit.

> > http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/1.01/inslaw.html

> Perhaps I am stupid.  I don't know how one would go about modifying
> application software to include a 'back door' that would presumably
> enhance its suceptibility to TEMPEST attacks.  Isn't tempest all
> about EM spectrum signal detection and capture?

    ALL electronic devices emits signals that you can intercept and
obtain information from. Whether or not you can extract much useful
data or not depends, but generally you can always extract something.
This is a vast field and it's hard to generalize. I have personally
attended tests at a firm working for the military in a western
European country and I've seen how extremely easy it is to do remote
classic tempest-reading of the screen of a lap-top, to name only one
example. The equipment easily fits in only a station wagon. Generally
this is really hard to protect yourself from. Let's say you build
yourself a bunker and put your computer inside it but you forget to
run it on batteries, then you'll find out that signals will be
carried out on the electric cord entering your bunker and they'll be
readily readable outside anyway. You can't have any kind of opening
in and out of that bunker, not even for ventilation, so you see this
is hard to do.

    Maybe they built in other forms of remotely usable back-doors
too, just in case there were able to make contact with the computer
remotely over some network. This makes sense too, since one or two or
those computers surely were less protected.

    Some people falsely believe that only CRT screens can be read
remotely using TEMPEST techniques, this couldn't be more false, in
fact one of the test managers I spoke to said he thought it was
easier with TFT type monitors. Also remeber that we're not just
talking about monitors, many other devices emits interesting and
potential useful informaation: faxes, printers, networking hardware
etc.

    Those PROMIS people built in hardware on the motherboards that
emitted signals using a kind of jumping frequency technique. If you
have the key giving you he answer to how the frequencies are changed
you can easily intercept the data otherwise it becomes really hard to
do and esp hard to find out that there's anything emitting in the
first place - it looks like noise. The purpose of this was so that
they could sell the whole package, the PC with the software
pre-installed to customers and then they could sit in their wan down
the street and record.

It's no only happening in the movies you know :)

    BTW: I would also be interested in some more comments on Michael
Riconosciuto as a person, doesn't anyone have an opinion or know of
interesting info in this regard? Are there any books written by him
or by people on "his side" of the story?