"Word" Of the Subgenius...

Steve Thompson steve49152 at yahoo.ca
Mon Dec 6 19:04:37 PST 2004

 --- "R.A. Hettinga" <rah at shipwright.com> wrote:
> At 3:34 PM -0500 12/6/04, Steve Thompson wrote:
> >I rather suspect that
> >the people who 0wn the upstream pipe from my points of access are
> toying
> >with their ability to interpose their data in place of
> quasi-authoritative
> >texts.
>
> Oh, *my*...

Come on, tell us what you really think.

Anyhow, when I used to post to usenet via google, I experienced a number
of incidents in which there were minor changes to the text of articles I
wrote and posted.  I also regularly noticed people posting messages that
were being exempted from the normal posting delay.

Articles that arrived at google were subject to a delay of a few hours
before their index entries propogated across to the entirety of the index
search cluster.  Some individuals evidently had acces to the google
database such that they were able to put their (suitably Date:ed) articles
at the head of the posting queues.

The apparent 0wn3rs of the continential US 1nt3rn3t are clearly making
sure they have capabilities that they may use to appear as if they are
super-3l33t.  Why, it wouldn't suprise me if I were to find that some of
them are busy playing 'alien' to unsuspecting unsophisticates at this very
moment.  Actually, it's a little more likely that they are playing "you
are trapped in the Matrix" on the gullible, isn't it.

> Where is Detweiller, now that we need him?

Probably off somewhere consulting in the industry, having tired of the
noise and wearied by the futility of hitting on Tim May.  I think that I
have better taste, personally, and am waiting for the chance to make a
pass at Condi.  Perhaps after the current presidential term she'll have
some time for me.

> ;-)

Is that a sincere emoticon?

Regards,