Jewish wholy words..

Tyler Durden camera_lumina at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 2 07:14:37 PST 2004

The idea of Jewish "Scripture" is far more complex than can be described in
a short amount of time.

Clearly, the Torah is far more important than anything, even the other books
of the "Old Testament" (for Jews the Old testament is actually in 3 or 4
books). The Torah is the only piece of Jewish scripture said to be dictated
letter-by-letter to Moses.

Now there are several "rings" of lesser works concentric around the Torah,
including the Talmud and the Mishra and then a couple of dozens of centuries
of other stuff. The Talmud is often called the "Oral Torah", but even this
designates a slightly inferior status, being the written version of words
originally spoken by Moses. The Mishnah are not scriptures at all,
technically, though they can be given great reverence depending on the Rabbi
that wrote/spoke a particular section.

Contrast that to the Protestant notion of Go/NoGo for scriptures...we don't
even have the Apocryhpa anymore, despite the fact that Martin Luther had it
in his Bible and quoted from it. It's eaither divinely inspired or it
ain't...a simplisitic idea that probably helped spread Protestantism to the
poor and uneducated.

In short, it's silly to somehow get on the Jews for something that shows up
in some commentary written 20 centuries ago (eg, Baylonian Talmud).

-TD