Backdoor found in Diebold Voting Tabulators

Sunder sunder at sunder.net
Tue Aug 31 08:30:35 PDT 2004

Oops! Is that a cat exiting the bag?

http://www.blackboxvoting.org/?q=node/view/78

Issue: Manipulation technique found in the Diebold central tabulator --
1,000 of these systems are in place, and they count up to two million
votes at a time.

By entering a 2-digit code in a hidden location, a second set of votes is
created. This set of votes can be changed, so that it no longer matches
the correct votes. The voting system will then read the totals from the
bogus vote set. It takes only seconds to change the votes, and to date not
a single location in the U.S. has implemented security measures to fully
mitigate the risks.

<SNIP>

 + ^ + :"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we.  /|\
  \|/  :They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country /\|/\
<--*-->:and our people, and neither do we." -G. W. Bush, 2004.08.05 \/|\/
 + v + :    War is Peace, freedom is slavery, Bush is President.