gmail as a gigabyte of an external filesystem

Thomas Shaddack shaddack at ns.arachne.cz
Sun Aug 29 09:55:37 PDT 2004

Cuuuute! :)

Could be even more interesting if combined with a suitable kind of
encryption; I don't know how much I should trust Google, they are way too
big to not be more than attractive "focus point" for "carpet-watching"
people.

The author is aware of this issue.

Question for the crowd: How difficult it would be to write a suitable
crypto engine as a plug-in module for FUSE itself? Then we could have
support for encrypted files on any filesystem accessible through FUSE.

-----------
http://www.boingboing.net/2004/08/29/turn_gmail_storage_i.html

What to do with all that extra, network-based storage that comes with your
Gmail account? If you're using Linux, you can turn it into a mountable
filesystem with GmailFS.

GmailFS provides a mountable Linux filesystem which uses your Gmail
account as its storage medium. GmailFS is a Python application and uses
the FUSE userland filesystem infrastructure to help provide the
filesystem, and libgmail to communicate with Gmail.

GmailFS supports most file operations such as read, write, open, close,
stat, symlink, link, unlink, truncate and rename. This means that you can
use all your favourite unix command line tools to operate on files stored
on Gmail (e.g. cp, ls, mv, rm, ln, grep etc. etc.).

Link (via Waxy) <http://richard.jones.name/google-hacks/gmail-filesystem/gmail-filesystem.html>

posted by Cory Doctorow at 08:21:29 AM