Wired: Attacking the 4th Estate

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Wed Aug 25 16:44:58 PDT 2004

    --
On 25 Aug 2004 at 10:16, Sunder wrote:
> Sure, you say, no such act exists. But Ashcroft himself once
> testified that bellyaching over what he called "phantoms of
> lost liberty" only serves to "aid terrorists" and "give
> ammunition to America's enemies." And recently FBI agents
> attempted to intimidate political activists by visiting them
> at their homes to warn about causing trouble at the upcoming
> Republican convention.

Ashcroft is pretty good compared to recent Attorney generals.
Under Reno, political extremists were not asked threatening
questions.  They were apt to get their dog shot, their son
shot, their baby shot in its mother's arms, etc.

If unpleasant people with intimidating questions was the worst
menace to our liberty, we would be in mighty good shape.

Ashcroft has completely failed to enforce all the "Child
protection" legislation that congress passed against the
internet - which makes him the nearest thing to a friend of
liberty as you are likely to find in Washington.

    --digsig
         James A. Donald
     Mluq4gPKwTGMErQREoTDh8saWV7wEzjSVjNf6113
     4ydEMtkhYfG6Q30GRB2AWjgyE/a40DE7VIEdxVgD2