Wired: Attacking the 4th Estate

Sunder sunder at sunder.net
Wed Aug 25 07:16:02 PDT 2004

http://www.wired.com/news/politics/0,1283,64680,00.html?tw=wn_tophead_6

or, the HTML crap free version:

http://www.wired.com/news/print/0,1294,64680,00.html

Attacking the Fourth Estate

By Adam L. Penenberg  |   Also by this reporter Page 1 of 2 next

02:00 AM Aug. 25, 2004 PT

John Ashcroft and the Department of Justice must be stopped.

There, I've said it. Of course, now I half expect federal agents to drag
me off to prison for violating the No One Dare Question the Government
While We Are Engaged in the War Against Terror Act. (Duration: perhaps
forever.)

Sure, you say, no such act exists. But Ashcroft himself once testified
that bellyaching over what he called "phantoms of lost liberty" only
serves to "aid terrorists" and "give ammunition to America's enemies." And
recently FBI agents attempted to intimidate political activists by
visiting them at their homes to warn about causing trouble at the upcoming
Republican convention.

More to the point, under Justice Department guidelines, Ashcroft must
approve any subpoena of a journalist, so how do you explain the rash of
subpoenas that Special Prosecutor Patrick J. Fitzgerald, the U.S. attorney
from Chicago, has doled out to Time magazine, The New York Times, The
Washington Post and NBC? Already one reporter -- Matthew Cooper from Time
-- has been held in contempt by a federal judge for refusing to appear
before the grand jury that Fitzgerald convened to investigate which Bush
administration senior official(s) leaked a covert spy's identity to
columnist Robert Novak.

<SNIP>

 + ^ + :"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we.  /|\
  \|/  :They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country /\|/\
<--*-->:and our people, and neither do we." -G. W. Bush, 2004.08.05 \/|\/
 + v + :    War is Peace, freedom is slavery, Bush is President.