Another John Young Sighting

Tyler Durden camera_lumina at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 24 10:26:57 PDT 2004

Variola wrote...

>PS: I thought Tyler had nominated himself as leader?  :-)

No, almost the opposite. I propose that any 'Cypherpunk' can declare himself
to be leader and make 'official statements' at any time. Of course, others
can (and most probably will) choose to ignore the official statement, or
even declare himself to be leader and 'officially' rescind that statement
and/or issue a completely contradictory statement. This will be particularly
useful when getting (for instance) public interest to move elsewhere.

For instance, it might be usefulto have an official statement ready if/when
the Cryptome press starts poking around Cypherpunks:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Cypherpunks is a collection of diverse individuals dedicated to preserving
the freedoms that all Americans value. As part of this effort, Cypherpunks
periodically analyzes the systems used by terrorists and other enemies of
freedom in an attempt to strengthen such systems and prevent their abuse.
Indeed, Cypherpunks has good reason to believe that there are large cells of
terrorists and other Men With Guns scattered throughout the nation, even in
the DC Beltway area.

Or, perhaps there's a "Suicide Girl" you've been stalking...erh, I mean
trying to impress. You might try:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Major Variola (Retired) was recently elected to be the President/Chief
Executive Offiicer/King of the Cypherpunks Group(TM). Variola was considered
by all to have not only formidable intellectual powers, but a large-ish
penis as well. All members of the Cypherpunks list have promised to act upon
any official statement by Variola, without delay or question, and around the
world are toasting the new era of his leadership. All hail Variola.

or

"Dear Mr Mohammed:
I am particularly interested in hearing more about your offer to transfer
funds to an eGold account. Please send the money right away, and rest
assured that you will have the full support of all members of the
Cypherpunks list.

And so on...

-TD