Another John Young Sighting

John Young jya at pipeline.com
Fri Aug 20 20:11:00 PDT 2004

That was a surprise and I missed it. Saw the re-run just
now. Pretty funny, ISTM.

The clip was from an AP TV piece which was taped
just before the recent AP story. One day a still photographer
and video guy came to do a follow-up to a telephone interview
by Tom Hays, the AP reporter. No fanfare like the ABC
News gang. The two were in and out in 20 minutes. Each
carried his own equipment, the TV guy packing a heavy
shoulder camera. No lighting, no rigging, a mic, a recorder,
the camera.

He asked a couple of questions, said just talk, so I did.
He said turn off the radio. Shot the barking carcass. He said
walk down the corridor, don't talk. He shot a couple of scrolling
screens, packed up, took off.

The still camera guy was the only journalist over recent
days who showed press ID, wore it around his neck. He
was a black man, so it figures. He said, without prompting,
you know it's amazing how people let the press into
their homes and offices, no questions asked. We could
be cops or feds and nobody'd know. He said a couple of
guys showed up at his home while the baby-sitter and
his daughter were alone, had talked their way past the
doorman, said they were cops, but showed no ID. The
baby-sitter said show me ID. The guys said we don't
need to. The babysitter said go to hell and slammed
the door. The next day, the photog called the precinct
to see if its cops had come. Precinct said nobody from
here went there, but maybe they were from another
jurisdiction. He said he never learned who they were
or why they came.

A black women reporter came a couple of days ago,
showed no ID but mesmerizing giant hooters in a deep-cut
blouse. Don't remember what I told her, her name or
who she worked for. Fought hard to look at her eyes,
I think.