Excerpts from Rudy Rucker's new Book

Sunder sunder at sunder.net
Thu Aug 19 06:37:35 PDT 2004

>From Rudy Rucker's new book: "The Lifebox, the Seashell and the Soul."

(The interesting bits to which Tim fantasizes to.)

As seen on:

http://www.boingboing.net/text/guestbar.html

<SNIP>

Rant at Start of Chapter on Society

I write this book during a dark time. America.s government is in the hands
of criminals and morons.

I.d like to break through to a radically different way of talking about
society, to throw a bucket of ice-water in the face of the sleep-walking
sheep who think that history is about presidents and kings.

A baby filling a diaper is infinitely more significant than a congress
placing a movement on the floor.

<SNIP>

Twin Towers

Facts: The twin towers fell. The terrorists were Saudis. Bush invaded
Iraq.

.Ah,. someone might say, .if nobody wanted to fight, we.d be invaded. Look
at the twin towers. The world.s not safe... And I would submit that the
administration.s reaction to the twin towers was exactly the wrong one.
Instead of jumping into the repetitive tit-for-tat class two
Israelis-versus-Palestinians mode, the government should have gone class
four. What would make men kill themselves while destroying a part of our
lovely New York City? What system produced them? Isn.t there a way to get
in and jolt it in some totally unexpected way, something more original
than rocket fire vs. car bombs?

Emigration

Before virtually every American presidential election, I.ve heard people
say, .If so and so wins, I.m leaving the country.. But they never do. The
only time my friends eve remigrated was during the Viet Nam war, a time
when the hive mind was undertaking the wholesale slaughter of a
generation. But most of the time, for most of us, things aren.t bad enough
to make emigration seem reasonable.

If the election is stolen again in Fall, 2004, the answer could be armed
revolution, not emigration. If the Bush faction tries to retain power, a
significant number of people may feel compelled to go to D.C. and fight in
the streets until the tyrant is deposed. However long it takes, however
dearly it costs. Would it be worth it?

Hopefully he'll lose the election by too great a margin to fudge. But for
that to happen, we have to vote. The popular vote margin matters, if not
in the electoral college, then in the hearts and minds of our oppressed
populace. If the margin were big enough, the house of cards could
collapse.

<SNIP>

 + ^ + :"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we.  /|\
  \|/  :They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country /\|/\
<--*-->:and our people, and neither do we." -G. W. Bush, 2004.08.05 \/|\/
 + v + :    War is Peace, freedom is slavery, Bush is President.