Forensics on PDAs, notes from the field

Thomas Shaddack shaddack at ns.arachne.cz
Wed Aug 11 21:44:26 PDT 2004

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004, Major Variola (ret) wrote:

> Obvious lesson: Steganography tool authors, your programs
> should use the worm/HIV trick of changing their signatures
> with every invocation.  Much harder for the forensic
> fedz to recognize your tools.  (As suspicious, of course).

It should be enough to do that at the installation time. The adversary in
this model gets to analyze the file only once, and we want to make sure
that nobody tampered with the file as a protection against other, more
"active" threat models. What we want is to have a file and its hash, so we
can make sure the file content is unchanged, but the hash has to be as
globally-unique as possible.

> The NIST CDROM also doesn't seem to include source code amongst its
> sigs, so if you compile yourself, you may avoid their easy glance.

A cool thing for this purpose could be a patch for gcc to produce unique
code every time, perhaps using some of the polymorphic methods used by
viruses.

Just adding a chunk of data to make the hash unique will work against the
current generation of the described tools. But we should plan to the
future, what moves the adversary can do to counter this step.

Then there's the matching of date/time of the files to "real-life" events.
Perhaps a countermeasure could be a modified vfat filesystem which
assigns free clusters randomly instead of sequentially (on a solid-state
medium fragmentation does not matter), which avoids the reconstruction of
the file saving order by matching the position of their clusters (for the
price of making undelete difficult), and an absence of timestamps
(01-01-1970 is a nice date anyway).

The file delete function in the filesystem driver can be modified to file
overwrite-and-delete, for the price of higher wear of the FlashEPROM
medium.

Linux-based (and open-architecture in general) PDAs should offer much
higher thug-resistance.