Michael Moore in Cambridge (download speech)

Howie Goodell howie.goodell at gmail.com
Wed Aug 11 10:27:42 PDT 2004

Since I introduced the term referring to the Bush Administration -- a
poor attempt at irony, but what I had in mind was the sort of American
ideals embodied in our Declaration of Independence, preamble and
Constitution and Bill of Rights, along with the ways these ideals
worked in practice to help create a much more desirable society over
the past couple centuries than countries similarly blessed with
resources (Russia, Argentina.)

So a few examples.  More than any administration I can remember since
Nixon's, this administration has disregarded, actively opposed, or
perverted:

 Declaration of Independence:  equality, human rights.
 Preamble to the Constitution: "a more perfect Union", justice, liberty
 Constitution -- torn down separation of powers, many others
 Bill of Rights -- read the list!

Mr. Moore's speech was a rallying cry to take back our government.
Would John Kerry drag us into Iraq?  Would he run obscene deficits?
(Hint: check his record from Graham Rudman on.)  Would he raid the
last of the Social Security surplus to line his friends' pockets?  He
may have voted for Patriot I (along with virtually the whole
Congress), but he's making restoring our rights a major issue.  I
think one of the philosophers said the key to knowledge is not seeing
similarities, but differences.

Howie Goodell

--
Howie Goodell  hgoodell at cs.uml.edu  http://goodL.org
Hardware control  Info Visualization  User interface