Al Qaeda crypto reportedly fails the test

Major Variola (ret) mv at cdc.gov
Tue Aug 3 19:45:06 PDT 2004

At 10:18 PM 8/3/04 +0100, Ian Grigg wrote:

> http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/jihad13chap3.html

>[Moderator's Note: One wonders if the document on the "Smoking Gun"
>website is even remotely real. It is amazingly amateurish -- the sort
>of code practices that were obsolete before the Second World War.
--Perry]
majordomo at metzdowd.com

I work(ed) for a major kiretsu soon bringing crypto to public
scanner/printer/copier
to your airport or hotel.  When I suggested that the paper that folks
write
strong passphrases on be backed by glass or metal instead of a pad of
paper,
they laughed.

One form of "crypto" I was forced to manufacture was obviously
succeptible to replay attacks if you merely leased the same model
scanner/printer/copier for a week and had a pringles' can during
transmission.  Or rev-eng the driver.
Convenience trumps security once again.

Not surprising the dinosaurs largely died out, the more I see of them.

Today I pointed out that their 802.11 blah gizmo was inside a Faraday
cage ie a locked sheet metal cabinet.  No wonder their wifi didn't work,

eh?

Not making this up...