On how the NSA can be generations ahead

Major Variola (ret) mv at cdc.gov
Mon Aug 2 20:29:28 PDT 2004

At 05:23 PM 8/1/04 -0400, Tyler Durden wrote:

>No, the NSA is probably generations ahead in some areas, but their fabs

>aren't much better than what's available commercially.

Yes, upon consideration I agreed, re critical dimensions.  That's why I
brought up uneconomically sized chips, and the tech of thinned wafers.
The point being (yes, if you
can cool them) that small = fast.   1 foot per nanosecond, remember?

And some of the neato-analog stuff one can do does *better* with big
honkin'
micron sized features, albeit on exotic materials, and the
large-area/thinned
argument still holds.

----
M. Atta: an army of one.