TERRORISTS ARE AMONG US! (Was: A close look at John Kerry's *real* tech agenda )

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Mon Aug 2 15:00:08 PDT 2004

Bill,
Thanks for the cogent post. Of course this isn't an issue that would
divide the Republicrat Party. Keep reading.
-Declan

House Select Committee on

Homeland Security Democrats

JIM TURNER, Ranking Member

www.house.gov/hsc/democrats/.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

August 2, 2004

Contact: Moira Whelan

(202) 226-8827

  Turner: The Terrorists Are Among Us

Congressman Jim Turner, Ranking Member of the Select Committee on
Homeland Security, issued the following statement regarding continued
terror warnings in the Northeast and the President's announcements today:

The threats on New York, New Jersey and Washington DC serve as a
reminder that the terrorists are among us here at home.  We have no idea
how many more are still in this country surveying our ports, chemical
plants and public transportation. We must assume there are other targets
beyond the 5 buildings being protected today.

The President's announcement endorsing the creation of a Director of
National Intelligence is a step in the right direction, but long
overdue.  The recommendation was made over 18 months ago by the
Congressional Joint Inquiry.  The 9/11 Commission report makes it clear
that we have not moved fast enough to protect this country and have not
closed the security gaps that threaten us today.

It is critical that we move forward to provide stronger homeland
security and that we do it with great haste. Our terrorist enemies will
not wait, and neither can we.

###