message, but also test

An Metet anmetet at freedom.gmsociety.org
Thu Apr 29 18:03:17 PDT 2004

Ryan Lackey writes:

> I have two questions:
>
> 1) Does anyone have actual performance measurements of ZKS from when
> it was operational/at peak, in terms of bandwidth, MTU, latency, and
> jitter?  Is there a good way to quantify just how far from
> "acceptable" it was?

I don't have any actual measurements, but as far as I can remember it
worked pretty well, i.e., slower than usual but still pages would load
within a few seconds.

Recently I've experimented with the onion routing system at
www.freehaven.net/tor, and the main problem there is slow startup times
setting up the first path.  Seems to take a couple of minutes sometimes
for the first web page to download.  I think it's struggling to find a
working path, or something.  But then after that the performance seems
comparable to Freedom.

I'm a big user of anonymity systems, and the worst problem I've had with
proxies is remembering who I am supposed to be at the time.  Several times
with Freedom and more recently with other proxies, I have done stuff
using my real name when I was in the mode where my nym was being used,
and vice versa.  Oops.  That's a pretty big mistake to make and can
totally destroy your pseudonymity, both at the time and throughout the
past lifetime of the nym.

What I'd like would be some kind of big, glaring indication that I am
in "anonymous" mode, like overlaying some kind of color display on the
screen, or maybe a crawling animation around the edges, or something.
I realize that this is out of scope for most efforts of this type, but
from my experience it's a big problem.

> (I also subscribed the al-qaeda node, and will probably finish setting
> up the spamfiltered version of the list, as well as passing the back
> archives through the same archiving software as current archives, and
> search-indexing them, next time I get bored)

Making your deep archive available in search-indexed form would be a
great service, as would spam-cleaning your current one.  May you grow
bored soon.

BTW, how big is the entire CP archive when compressed?  Would it fit into
a gmail account that someone could set up and share the passphrase to?
I'd pay quite a few bucks to have a copy of that on my disk.