Fact checking

Damian Gerow dgerow at afflictions.org
Wed Apr 28 20:37:26 PDT 2004

Thus spake Harmon Seaver (hseaver at cybershamanix.com) [28/04/04 11:40]:
: > "Hi, Sir, my name is Bob and I'm here to educate you about all the
: > candidates in the upcoming election that your eight second attention span
: > will allow me.  Oops, I guess I've used it all up.  Bye now!"
: >
: > These things all work in theory, but never in practice.
:
:     You obviously have never done any door-to-door. People are quite often very
: interested. We've had fairly good success organizing people on local issues
: which affect them, like opposition to street widening. Voter registration is the
: same thing.

Actually, I /have/ done door-to-door.  Granted, it's not extensive, but I
have been involved in a few campaigns.  In a good neighbourhood, we'd get
about 3/4 of the people who would care enough or have enough time at that
moment to listen/contribute.

: > Why bother putting something up in a library?  Chances are, if someone's
: > reading it there, they're already somewhat knowledgable about the
: > candidates.  Or heck, maybe they're even there to do /research/ on them!
:
:    The mention was "giving talks in libraries", which works fairly well. The
: local library is the logical meeting place for local groups to hold meetings and
: talks.

Yes, it does, so long as you get people there.  It's the getting people
there that's difficult.  I s'pose a door-to-door campaign advertising a
speaking at the library would be best.