Fact checking

Harmon Seaver hseaver at cybershamanix.com
Wed Apr 28 08:34:04 PDT 2004

On Tue, Apr 27, 2004 at 09:05:32PM -0400, Damian Gerow wrote:

> Thus spake Harmon Seaver (hseaver at cybershamanix.com) [27/04/04 17:18]:
> :    All of the above, but mostly door-to-door voter registration. When you
> : consider that both klinton and dubbya were elected with only 13%-14% of the
> : eligible voters, it wouldn't take all that many new voters to really make a
> : difference.
>
> "Hi, Sir, my name is Bob and I'm here to educate you about all the
> candidates in the upcoming election that your eight second attention span
> will allow me.  Oops, I guess I've used it all up.  Bye now!"
>
> These things all work in theory, but never in practice.

    You obviously have never done any door-to-door. People are quite often very
interested. We've had fairly good success organizing people on local issues
which affect them, like opposition to street widening. Voter registration is the
same thing.

> Why bother putting something up in a library?  Chances are, if someone's
> reading it there, they're already somewhat knowledgable about the
> candidates.  Or heck, maybe they're even there to do /research/ on them!

   The mention was "giving talks in libraries", which works fairly well. The
local library is the logical meeting place for local groups to hold meetings and
talks.

--
Harmon Seaver
CyberShamanix