Fact checking

Damian Gerow dgerow at afflictions.org
Mon Apr 26 12:04:14 PDT 2004

Thus spake Pete Capelli (pcapelli at ieee.org) [26/04/04 13:56]:
: > Who you vote for is up to you.  I'm not telling you to vote for him, I'm
: > just correcting a pretty large non-truth propogated by American media.
:
: B*llshit. From a transcript of an interview of Al Gore by Wolf Blitzer:
: http://www.cnn.com/ALLPOLITICS/stories/1999/03/09/president.2000/transcript.gore/
:
: " During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in
: creating the Internet."

Yes, that's exactly what he said:

    <http://www.firstmonday.dk/issues/issue5_10/wiggins/>

That's not saying that he invented the internet, it's saying that he took
initiative in creating it.  Two very different things.

I took initiative in building a house.  That's not saying that I built it,
it's saying that I approved the blueprints, paid the builders, and would
check on things every once in a while, to make sure they weren't going too
far astray.

: > Hey, I'm no fan of Tipper either.  And I'm not saying that Al Gore was a
: > /good/ choice.  But in retrospect, he probably would have been a lesser
: evil
: > than the current president.
:
: Mindlessly voting for anyone but bush is just as ignorant as voting
: midlessly for him.

Yes, that's about what I was saying.  Mindless voting is, in some regards,
worse than not voting at all.  And it appears that's what sunder has done --
not voted, instead of mindlessly voted.

But when all the facts, and the necessities to check the facts, are at your
fingertips, there's no reason to be doing either.

  - Damian