What Should Freedom Lovers Do?

sunder sunder at sunder.net
Mon Apr 26 11:41:13 PDT 2004

An Metet wrote:

> In my devotion to freedom, I apparently go beyond the point where most
> cypherpunks are comfortable, in that I support private initiatives and
> technologies of all sorts and oppose government regulation of them.
> I am a supporter and admirer of Microsoft, which has achieved tremendous
> market success without relying on government support, indeed in the
> face of steadfast government opposition.  I oppose government antitrust
> efforts in general, and specifically those directed against Microsoft.

I agree with everything you've said in your post, including >PRIVATE< DRM
measures, but, I disagree that Microsoft should be admired.

I've seen far too much evil emminated from Redmond:
* from outright theft of smaller companies' IP (i.e. Stacker),
* dumping ("We'll help you migrate from Netware to NT 3.51 for free"),
* FUD (GNU is communism and Anti-American),
* evil contracts (if you sell blank machines without Windows, you have to
pay $X more for our software)
* stealth funding of SCO's lawsuit against IBM and linux end users,
* to lots of needless security holes - some even by design, (i.e. security
is a checkbox as a marketing feature, or an afterthought: i.e. this chant:
"Active X! Active X! Format Hard drive? Just say 'YES!'")

For the final one, I used to work at Earthweb, which ran Gamelan
(pronounced gah-meh-lohn, not game LAN), a Java repository.  At one point,
EW decided to start an Active X repository.  Some guy wrote an Active X
browser component that shut off your machine if you clicked yes.  The
component did exactly what it said it did, but it was a good example that
it could have done something else.  Hence the "Active X! Active X! Format
Hard Drive? Just say YES!" chant.

Let me tell you, Microsoft tried very, very hard to get us to remove that
bit of code from the repository.  We didn't, because it did exactly what it
claimed to do.

More financial damage has been done to the planet by Microsoft than good.
Far too many sysadmin/developer hours were lost because of Microsoft.  You
can certainly count the hours in lost human lives...  Hell, just add up the
cost of each virus/trojan/worm outbreak which targets Outlook, Office, and
Internet Exploiter.

Now don't get me wrong.  I'm not some knee-jerk Linux Good, Windows bad
clueless geek wannabee.  I started out as a Novell Netware sysadmin.
(Well, I started out as a coder, but fell into sysadming over time.)

When NT starting taking over, I picked it up and thought it was cool.  It's
design was certainly revolutionary, and the NTFS was one of the best
designed file systems I've seen, even to this day.  NT's borrow a driver
from the server printing was beautiful.  User management via domains?
Sweet!  Ok, not too much better than NIS, but hey, very nice. Active
Directory?  Much, much mo'e better.  DHCP?  Great wonderful idea.  Gateway
for Netware Services and Migration from Netware?  A bit scummy, but hey
it's free with the server, might as well use it*.  File and Printer sharing
for Macintosh?  Cool! - well, except for that one bug with the dancing
icons back a few years ago...

(* Gateway Service for Netware allowed a scummy sysadmin to bypass the
license limitation of Netware servers.  A single "user" from the NT server
would login to the Netware server and proxy hundreds if not thousands of
user requests.  You suffered in performance, but one of it's uses was to
bypass licensing.  If you read NT's license it says something along the
lines that you can't use another proxy this way against an NT server.)

Registry?  Hey, wonderful idea.  No, really.  Storing all your machine's
settings in a single place and having a single editor (ok two of them) to
control them was beautiful.  Just make sure you (can and do) back it up.

No, I'm not being sarcastic, if you know how the registry works, how to
back it up, how to restore it, and how to repair it, it's a great thing -
much better than lots of .ini, .rc or .conf files
everyfuckingwherethankyouverymuch.  Ok, in unixen everything lives in /etc.
  But which /etc?  /etc? /usr/local/etc? /usr/local/samba/etc? and the dot
files in home directories?  ouch!  (A regular thing that I do is to backup
all of /etc /usr/local/etc just to make sure I can restore them.  With
Windows, you just run rdisk /s- and copy %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\repair.)

At the last job, we had a dead Exchange 5.5 on NT 4.0 server.  Its hardware
died.  I worked for a shitty little dot com.  The guy admining it couldn't
restore it.  We didn't have another motherboard that mached the drivers on
that box, so we couldn't just move the hard drive over.  Know what I did?
I merged the hardware related registry files from the sacrificial machine
on the OS of the dead one to get it to boot, then hand reinstalled the
network driver and a few other minor things like the video driver.  It's
not so hard if you know what you're doing, and a registry isn't a bad thing.

All of the above features more or less beat the shit out of all flavors of
unix when NT 3.5x/4.0 came out.  By the time XP was on, Linux and FreeBSD
had caught up and then some.  Solaris at this point was trying to get Linux
compatibility with lxrun, SGI was already gonzo from the art market with
Mac taking over.

NT was beautiful - in theory, and on paper.  Because a lot of it was VMS on
steroids.

Remote management tools weren't too horrible.  Ok, you couldn't ssh into a
box, and the command line tools sucked - even after the resource kit, but
MMC worked nicely and let you mostly manage boxes remotely if you knew what
you were doing.  Sure, you couldn't easily launch a program on a remote
server, but you could run the scheduler remotely and tell it to run
something two minutes from now.

But, oh man, the bugs were murder.  So were the patches. Things like
invisible, unkillable processes, hidden data forks in the file systems that
you can't see to back up, worms didn't help my point of view.  Reboots
after each of dozens of hotfixes, good luck getting your system to work
after a service pack.  Hell, you had to reboot after changing IP addresses
for fuck's sake!

Worse yet, with NT 4.0, it would constantly forget about licenses.  It
allowed you to set the number to whatever you liked, but in a normal
environment when you had only 20 users logging on and off, it easily filled
up those 20 licenses.  Even if you lied and set it to several hundred, it
would forget that some logged off and seize up with "Out of Licenses!"  At
one point, I had set it to several thousand and had an AT job (cron for
unix guys) restarting the license "service" twice a day just to prevent
users from getting kicked off!

Have a software RAID 5 volume instead of a RAID 1 under NT?  Was your OS
too hosed to get back up and running? Couldn't restore it with last known
good or the registry repair?  Good luck restoring those RAID volumes after
a reinstall!  Wasn't impossible, but wasn't easy either.  Exchange server?
  Ouch! What a load of overpriced bloatware!  Have fun repairing it's db's
or even backing it up without special software plugins.

Excel in a financial environment?  Have fun with the Bloomberg plug-in
crashing several times a day.  Multiply by a few hundred guys on a trade
floor and welcome to IT HELL!  Thanks, but I'd rather flip burgers than
deal with that shit again.

Yeah, NT/2K/XP's gotten a lot better after Win2K, but no thanks, I won't go
to XP.  Ever.  That NSA back door key didn't exactly win my friendship over
either.  XP's creepy product activation isn't my cup of tea. Windows Media
Player's reporting back to Mama what I play or what codecs I use is a no-no
in my book too.  Service Packs where I "agree" that Microsoft has the right
to stick anything on my machine?  Fuck that noise.

Microsoft is evil.  Cthulhu sized evil.  Ballmer and Butt-head aren't nice,
warm, pro-liberty guys.  Neither are Scott McNealy and Larry Ellison who
both attempted to profit from the World Trade Center/Pentagon bombings by
offering their idea of a national ID.  All of these folks are far, far
worse than Tim May with Microsoft being as slimy and evil as the Neo-CONS!

You know what?  I'm pro capitalism, pro-freedom, pro-making a buck, but I
can see how Microsoft deserves far, far, worse than their anti-trust lawsuit.

My  fight against them?  I won't do windows, I won't use windows in any new
machines I buy, I won't work in environments where I'm forced to babysit it.