Fact checking

Damian Gerow dgerow at afflictions.org
Mon Apr 26 10:14:47 PDT 2004

Thus spake sunder (sunder at sunder.net) [26/04/04 13:10]:
: >Actually, Mr. Gore didn't once claim to invent the Internet.  Through
: >various mis-wordings and lax fact-checkings, the Mass Media came to
: >represent what he said through that phrase.
: >
: >What he /actually/ claimed (and what he /actually/ did) was recognize its
: >importance, and then push for funding, in the 1980's.  So he didn't
: >'invent'
: >the Internet, he helped provide the funding for its inventors.
: >
:
: Yeah so what? I still wouldn't want to vote for him (except as a vote
: against Shrubbya)

So what?  Please get your facts straight -- you may have good reasons for
not voting for him, just make sure they're valid before spewing them off.

Who you vote for is up to you.  I'm not telling you to vote for him, I'm
just correcting a pretty large non-truth propogated by American media.

: Al's prise pig of a wife, Tipper, helped found the PMRC
: against lyrics in songs.  See Megadeth's Hook in Mouth for details on this
: censorious organization:
: http://www.songlyrics4u.com/megadeth/hook-in-mouth.html
: and http://www.geocities.com/fireace_00/pmrc.html for details about the
: PMRC.

Hey, I'm no fan of Tipper either.  And I'm not saying that Al Gore was a
/good/ choice.  But in retrospect, he probably would have been a lesser evil
than the current president.